Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Around half the world in 1.42 days


Hi Friends! How had all of you been? Greetings from the United States of America!

Phew, I know it has been a while since I last updated my blog, and you bet I had tons of stuff to share!!! And I don't even know where to start!

It's 4:06am now here in Columbia, Missouri (MO), and it's COLD out there! It's 45°F, or 7°C. Thank God for the heater! My wife and I are keeping the house temperature at 75°F, which is 24°C, and thank God too, because with this cold weather, I can exercise without sweating much :)

Oh, before I forget, I must let ya'll know that I had signed up for the half marathon in Springfield, MO, on the 3rd day of Christmas at 2:30pm. Springfield is 173 miles away from my place (about 3 hours 53 mins by car). This race is part of the
10th Annual Run For The Ranch. Yeah, I know, my wife thinks I'm crazy too, since the forecasted temperature for the run will be around 43°F! Training alone is a crazy thing, since I would have to brave cold temperatures to go running out there! Well, I have less than 2 months to go, so wish me luck and pray for me! And I really want to do this, because firstly, I had never run in cold temperatures before, it will be exciting, and I can't just stop running because of winter. So I'm reading up and spending quite a fair bit on winter running gear, but I keep reminding myself that this is a one-time investment, since I will be able to re-use the same stuffs every year's autumn or winter :) I'm targeting to run below 2 hours and 30 minutes, since in my previous half marathon, I dipped below 3 hours. Hope that I can catch up on my training, since I'm almost 3 weeks behind, due to lack of motivation and discipline. Sigh... got to buck up, since the race itself is no joke, what more running in cold temperatures!


Anyways, back to my experience traveling to the States and my first 5 days here. Let's start with the flight... gosh! Thank God I made it, because in the flight from Hong Kong to Chicago, almost 30% of the flight was affected badly by turbulence. And it's not just simple rock-a-my-baby... it's violent rock-and-roll ok! Even the flight attendant commented that she had never experienced such a bad turbulence before in her many years of service.

The best thing about the whole traveling is... no crying babies, no big-sized guy beside me, I got the aisle seat, and the service is not too bad. Food sucks, so did the movies they played on United Airlines (UA), but what the heck, that's what you get for cheap tickets. Heard that they had free flow of booze, but too bad I ain't a drinker.

At O'Hare, Chicago airport, I was starving, so I had my first ever American McDonald's burger set meal, which didn't differ greatly from the Malaysian version. But the funny thing is, they had no chairs or tables, so I joined a few others sitting on the floor at the sidewalk... LOL! I don't know, but I think I could pass for a poor old Chinese beggar!


And I can't help noticing that I was the only black-haired, Asian-looking guy on the flight from Chicago to St. Louis. Welcome to America!


And oh, did I mention that they (UA) used this 39-seater plane to fly from Chicago to St. Louis? Very interesting experience! That must be the smallest plane I had ever sat in. Ok, ok, I know, for my American friends, they might be going... duh... but it's a first for me!

For $58, a coach carried me from St. Louis to my new home sweet home's doorsteps, literally speaking. It was a shared coach, so it went around dropping others first before dropping me.


Oh oh, this post is getting too long, so I'm not going to share about my church experience last Sunday, or my first Walmart experience. Maybe another post. So I'm ending this now, by just letting you all know that I'm doing great here, and I hope the same for you too! Have a beautiful Tuesday and thanks for reading this!

10 Comments:

Blogger fl0rlee said...

hey john..great to hear from u.. how's alethiea?..i oredi feel cold wen u describe the weather, how can u run lar? hahahha..blog more..update us..

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 7:26:00 AM  
Blogger MysLykeMeeh said...

God bless for the marathon. Yeah, your wife said you're definitely crazy.

Weather here is colder here.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 9:03:00 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

Welcome to the Midwest, John! Sounds like you are settling in quite nicely. That is good!
I'm not a runner but I would think running in cold weather would be much different than running in warm weather. Don't over do it, acclimate your body to the cold. I know you'll do well in the marathon, you're an experienced runner and you know what is best for you. I say give it your all!
I'm so glad your trip wasn't a nightmare (cept for the turbulence). I've never been in a large plane so I can only take your word for that....
Welcome to America, my friend!

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 12:22:00 AM  
Blogger Christopher said...

hey hey john, logged in with my gmail ac, Chris here btw.

First time i've heard turbulence for a large plan.. I still remembe rmy trip to sabah, where the plane Dipped (thats right, it literally fell downwards, for abt 4 seconds n I flew up from my seat, good thing we had seat belts hahaha

Keep on blogging bro :) maybe one day I'll go USA to meet ya haha, when of course u know more places :P hahahah

any how good to hear from ya! God bless ya always

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 9:08:00 PM  
Blogger Deboshree said...

Hey!

All the best for the marathon!
You need it!
You can make it though if you like running so much.
Glad you had a safe journey.I'm glad you are with your wife now. I'm sure it must have been hard without her.

Take care
Love
Deboshree

Friday, October 30, 2009 5:05:00 AM  
Blogger Ron said...

Welcome to America, my friend.
I couldn't help but to smile and at times, laugh at your expereince. First of all, you're becoming too American...you're starting to use the word "y'all" and "aint." That is so American LOL.

Secondly, get used to being the only black haired Asian man around. I get that all the time...and the feeling goes away after a while.

Thirdly, You'll never pass for a Chinese begger!

Fourthly, please please please post about your Walmart experience!!!!

Good luck on the marathon buddy. Just becareful about winter running...it can be dangerous/tough.

Prayers are with you.

Ron

Saturday, October 31, 2009 12:23:00 PM  
Blogger John said...

Hi Florence! Aletheia is doing great, thanks for asking :) Yes, I will blog more.

Hi Mys Lyke Meeh, yes, I am starting to think I am too! LOL

Thanks so much, Donna! :D Still don't understand why Missouri is considered as Midwest - the location of the state on the U.S. map is quite clearly leaning towards the east! I appreciate your advice and will take heed of it seriously. It's nothing like I'd ever done before.

Chris! Oh boy... now which Chris are you? LOL Chris De Jelly? Christopher Tan? Chris Leong? Christmas? Ok, maybe not the last one.

Hi Deboshree :) Thanks a lot ya, and I'm very happy for you too *winks*

RON MY MAN! Saw your FB status... where're you heading to? Thanks for the welcome bro. Yeah, I know... I will get used to it eventually... LOL Ok, I promise I will share about my first Walmart experience. Nothing traumatic like yours, but I will... heh heh... You take care too, wherever you're heading to.

Sunday, November 01, 2009 5:02:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Welcome to America, John! I'm so happy you're here ... and I hope your new home with your new wife will be wonderful!

You know ... you are always so upbeat and positive ... I really appreciate your attitude. Others might moan and groan about the trip and new experiences but you embrace it all. I smile every time I read one of your posts!

Best wishes always, John!

Small Footprints
http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

Monday, November 02, 2009 7:14:00 PM  
Blogger John said...

Hey thanks, Small Footprints! Always appreciate you dropping by here :)

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:45:00 PM  
Blogger Frances said...

Those who live in America, specifically in Chicago, know the value and importance of owning a car. If you wish to get one at an affordable price, you should check out how used cars Chicago dealers could help you with your needs.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 1:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home